Login Register

Former Bodmin player Glynn Hobbs admits serious assault

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: May 29, 2013

Glynn Hobbs

Comments (0)

Former Bodmin Town striker Glynn Hobbs has admitted a serious assault – only weeks after he was given an ASBO banning him from the game.

Hobbs pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm on December 12 last year.

The confession comes just over two weeks after the 26-year-old was banned from playing football in Devon and Cornwall under an Anti Social Behaviour Order.

Hobbs pleaded guilty to the assault at Plymouth Crown Court on Tuesday.

No details of the attack were given as the case involves another man who denies the allegations. The co-accused will face trial in October.

However, Hobbs, of Tamar Street, Devonport, was close to having his bail revoked when he failed to appear in court when the case was initially called to be heard at 9.45am yesterday.

When he eventually made his legal team aware of his presence, shortly after 10am, Judge Darlow told his defence lawyer that his client was bringing his bail into question. The judge later accepted an explanation that Hobbs had arrived on time, but that his lawyer didn’t know.

Earlier this month it was reported that Hobbs, who once attracted interest from Manchester United, was given an ASBO that banned him from taking part in any organised football in Devon and Cornwall.

Hobbs is also banned from being in any pub or nightclub between 8pm and 8am in Plymouth.

He cannot be found in an intoxicated condition through the consumption of drugs or alcohol in any public place in Devon and Cornwall.

He is prohibited from the city centre, North Hill and the Barbican – the city’s night-time hotspots.

Hobbs is also banned from gathering in a group of four or more people ‘in a manner likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress’ anywhere in Devon and Cornwall.

Plymouth Magistrates made the interim order after hearing allegations that Hobbs had attacked and injured other players on the pitch.

Hobbs is expected to contest an application next month to extend the order to two years.

Hobbs joined Bodmin in September last year and made 22 appearances in all competitions, scoring 15 goals.

His last appearance for Bodmin came on February 27 in the Throgmorton Cup quarter-final against Saltash United.

Four days earlier he had been sent off for an alleged elbow on an opponent against Plymouth Parkway.

Hobbs will be back in court in relation to the assault matter on October 21 this year.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters