Login Register

Bodmin man has lucky escape after carbon monoxide leak

By CG_News  |  Posted: December 20, 2012

Comments (0)

A BODMIN man had a "very lucky escape" after a faulty gas heater pumped out deadly carbon monoxide into his home.

Fire crews from Bodmin were called to the St Georges Crescent property at around 5pm yesterday.

A Lifeline alarm – which is monitored 24 hours a day - activated in the property after detecting traces of carbon monoxide. 

Firefighters ventilated the property and the man, who was thought to be in 50s and was suffering from breathing difficulties, was passed to into the care of paramedics.

"The man had a very lucky escape," said group manager Mark Blatchford from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service.

"The Lifeline system really did provide a life line - had the alarm not been in place, the man could have been very seriously ill."

A colourless, odourless and poisonous gas, carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal.

Cornwall Lifeline provides a round the clock service for around 12,000 people throughout Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly and parts of Devon.

There are a number of devices that can be wirelessly linked though the lifeline service including smoke and carbon monoxide detectors - for more details and free advice please contact Cornwall Lifeline on 01872 224521, visit www.cornwall.gov.uk/lifeline or email lifelineadmin@cornwall.gov.uk

 

Tips for staying Carbon Monoxide safe include:

 

• Buy a carbon monoxide detector - place it in your home (refer to manufacturers guidelines) test it regularly and keep the sensor free from dust and well maintained. You can also buy a portable detector to take with you on holiday.

• Have your appliances properly installed and regularly serviced by qualified installers.

• Sweep chimneys and flues regularly.

• Don't block vents – make sure your home is ventilated.

• When removing hot ashes from an open fire at the end of the day, ensure they are removed to fresh air in a metal bucket and extinguished properly in a safe environment.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning visit www.cornwall.gov.uk/carbonmonoxide or call Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's 24hr freephone fire safety helpline on 0800 358 1999.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR