Login Register

Bodmin Town win thriller to lift Cornwall Senior Cup

By Lee_Hall  |  Posted: April 17, 2013

Bodmin Town lift the Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup

Comments (0)

Helston Athletic 3, Bodmin Town 4 (after extra-time)

BODMIN Town have been crowned Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup winners for a fourth successive year after Tuesday night's incredible final replay at Treyew Road.
Cornish football can hold its head high after one of the most intriguing finals in recent years as ten-man Helston Athletic, of the SWPL Division One West, took the Premier Division champions-elect all the way.
It was Lee Doel's strike with a minute of extra-time remaining that broke Helston hearts to hand Darren Gilbert's men the most dramatic of victories in front of a crowd of 823 in Truro.
It was a final that had everything, with Helston playing for more than 50 minutes with ten men after Kirk Davies was sent off after his second booking in the second half of the 90 minutes.
Helston, who had the better of their first meeting with Bodmin, when the sides drew 0-0 in the original tie in Saltash, shook Bodmin by taking an 18th minute lead through Liam Eddy, the striker rounding Kevin Miller before rolling the ball into an empty net.
The Blues were desperately unlucky not to add a second in the 23rd minute when skipper Jamie Thomson curled a brilliant over the wall only to be denied by the post.
Chances came at either end in an exhilarating encounter, but after a good spell early in the second half, Bodmin were level through Shane Krac. Goalkeeper Jason Robertson was left rooted as midfield man Krac drilled the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area from Olly Brokenshire's lay off.
Helston were dealt a huge blow in the 67th minute when Davies, already on a booking, received his second yellow card for a mistimed challenge on Neil Slateford.
And when Bodmin's Adam Carter made it 2-1 in the 77th minute it was surely game over.
Helston, though, had other ideas.
And with 84 minutes played the brilliant Eddy got the better of Miller again with a brilliant finish into the bottom corner much to the delight of their fans.
That sent the game into extra-time and with 99 minutes played Bodmin were in front again. This time Brokenshire provided the finish with a fine left-footed drilled effort into the bottom corner, giving Robertson no chance.
There was still time, however, for yet more twists.
First substitute James Miller, who came off the bench to score against Newquay in the semi-final, ironically at Treyew Road, was the Blues' hero again when his curling effort from the right found the far corner of the net.
But it was Doel who would have the final say in what will go down as one of the greatest Cornwall Senior Cup finals in history when, in the 119th minute, he drilled the ball past Robertson.

Helston: J Robertson, B Stidwell, C Strike (D Stidwell 79), J Thomson, K Davies, H Howlett, J Adlard, C Young (J Miller 79), L Eddy, M Goldsworthy (A Stidwell 71), T Russell. Subs (not used): N Thwaites, M Fox.
Bodmin: K Miller, H Morgan (L Hodge 120), L Rundle, T Chambers, S Simmonds, O Brokenshire, N Slateford, S Krac, A Carter, C Luxton (L Doel 30), S Matthews (C Swiggs 98). Subs (not used): L Doddridge, L Reed.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters